CREATE & MANAGE DATA
The Research Data Management team at the UK Data Archive is actively involved in developing knowledge, guidance and capacity building in managing and sharing data, primarily for the social sciences.
Our team undertakes a range of R&D projects on research data management support and training for researchers and support staff, through grants from the ESRC, Jisc and the EU. These include:
- 2014 The use of incentives: case studies on current and future incentives for research data sharing is funded as a Knowledge Exchange project by the Danish Agency for Culture, Copenhagen, Denmark. It aims to provide evidence and examples of useful incentives for data sharing from the researchers' point of view, to inform scientists and policy makers.
- 2011 - 2103 The Research Data @Essex project, funded under the Jisc Managing Research Data 2 Programme, produced a fully functioning data repository app for EPrints (ReCollect) and piloted a research data management infrastructure for the University of Essex.
- 2010 - QuDEx is a metadata schema founded and supported by the UK Data Archve, that is intended to sit alongside the DDI. It captures properties of complex qualitative data collections to enable rich data description and data exchange.
- 2010 - 2012 Data Management Training project RDI-RDM) was funded by ESRC as part of the Researcher Development Initiative (RDI). This project provided a programme of focused training for researchers and researcher support staff on the key issues pertinent to managing and sharing social science data.
- 2009 - 2011 Data Management Planning project (DMP-ESRC), supported by Jisc and ESRC under the Jisc Managing Research Data Programme. The project worked with ESRC Research Centres and Programmes to implement data management planning, enable effective data management practices and increase individual and institutional data management and sharing capacity in these research 'hubs'.
- 2009 Keeping Research Data Safe 2 (KRDS2), funded by Jisc, was a survey of the costs of digital preservation. The UK Data Archive co-authored the report and provided a case study. The responses covered research data archives or cultural heritage collections in a broad area of research disciplines including the arts and humanities, social sciences, and physical and biological sciences.
- 2006 - 2008 Data Exchange Tools and Conversion Utilities (DExT) was a project fudned by the Jisc which developed, refined and tested models for data exchange for both survey data and qualitative research data. Research was also conducted into the viability of developing the automated conversion procedures for legacy formats.
- 2005 - 2011 The Rural Economy and Land Use Programme Data Support Service (Relu-DSS) was funded by ESRC, NERC and BBSRC. Relu-DSS supported over 30 large-scale research projects in the programme, helping researchers to plan, implement and carry out high quality data management to ensure that research data can be shared at the end of the research projects.
- 2005 - 2006 Smart Qualitative Data: methods and community tools for data mark-up (SQUAD) was a project supported by the ESRC under its Qualitative Data Archiving and Sharing scheme. The project explored methodological and technical solutions for exposing digital qualitative data to make them fully shareable, exploitable and archivable for the longer term. XML standards and text mining tools for anonymising data were used.