NEWS & EVENTS
How to set up and run a data service: the challenges of social science data13 - 14 October 2011UK Data Archive, University of Essex
This is a once-a-year opportunity for data archivists to go behind the scenes and learn first hand from specialists at the UK Data Archive.
Over two days, 13 and 14 October 2011, participants will learn about the strategies and practices used in the Archive's daily work, with a focus on storing and sharing social science data, including microdata, aggregate, qualitative and historical data.
The Archive has over 40 years experience in selecting, ingesting, curating and providing access to data. We are a designated Place of Deposit for The National Archives and are internationally acknowledged experts in this field.
- Day 1: A comprehensive overview, from acquiring data to documenting, preserving, protecting, and providing access. This will also cover strategies for re-use and data management planning.
- Day 2: Specialist surgeries – an opportunity to engage with Archive experts about specific needs and interests.
See the link below for complete programme details.Prerequisites
Participants should be actively working with storing and sharing social science data, or plan to in the near future. This course is unlikely to be suitable for undergraduate or postgraduate students unless working in a data archiving environment.Certification
A certificate of attendance will be issued on completion of the workshop.Cost
£200 - includes all workshop materials plus coffee, lunch, drinks reception and evening meal on Day 1 and coffee on Day 2.
The fee is non-refundable unless we receive seven days advance notice.Sponsorship
The Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC) will be supporting fully funded scholarships to attend this workshop. Sponsorship applications are welcomed from DPC members and associates. The scholarship covers tuition fees, course materials, access to online resources, lunch and refreshments. Successful scholarship applicants will be asked to help promote the course and the work of the coalition.
The deadline for sponsorship applications has been extended to Friday 7 October 2011.
If applying for a scholarship, please mention this on the workshop application and also if your attendance is dependent on winning a scholarship.To apply
Complete the online application form including your preferences (first and second choices) for each surgery on Day 2. We shall evaluate your application and confirm your place within five working days.
Please note that places are limited. The application deadline has been extended to Friday 7 October 2011.
If you have questions, or are concerned about financial hardship, contact the Communications Team.
Booking for this event is now closed.
- Acquisitions... Susan Cadogan
- Processing and cataloguing data and documentation - qualitative...Richard Deswarte
- Workshop surgeries
- Setting up a data service: an overview...Matthew Woollard
- Accesssing data and supporting users... Margaret Ward
- Encouraging and promoting re-use of data...Louise Corti
- Processing and cataloguing data and documentation... Sharon Bolton
- DPC scholarships
- Evaluating research data... Louise Corti
- Data preservation and security... Mike King
- Supporting data creation and data management...Libby Bishop