The Qualitative Data Exchange Schema (QuDEx) allows users to discover, find, retrieve and cite complex qualitative data collections in context.
The schema is complementary to DDI and enables:
- Highly structured and consistently marked-up data
- Rich descriptive metadata for files e.g. interview characteristics, interview setting, type of object
- Logical links between data objects: text to related audio, images, and other research outputs
- Preserves references to annotations performed on data
- Common metadata elements that enable federated catalogues across providers and borders
The standard is maintained by the UK Data Archive, and the project overview and outputs can be accessed from the DExT site.
The Archive's use of QuDex: The UK Data Service's QualiBank uses the schema, along with the TEI and DDI Codebook.
Schema and documentation
- Schema The latest version of the QuDEx Schema v3.01
- Release notes Release notes for the Schema version 3.0
- Open issues A collection of the open QuDEx issues
- Reference A reference guide to QuDEx elements and attributes which we hope may be expanded to provide further implementation support in future versions. A list of relevant acronyms is provided at the end of this document providing basic definitions (not technical details) of QuDEx and other related concepts
- QuDEx Object Model The latest version of the QuDEx Object Model v3.0d
- QuDEx mapping from Atlas-ti to QuDEx XML
- Full instance of the XML containing most elements and attributes
- Sample instance Atlas-ti XML based on sample data
- Sample METS Supporting document for archiving of QuDEx and other material
- QuDEx Viewer A basic demo for viewing QuDEx files (requires Tomcat server to run)